Guéridon bas, 1942
Although they later showed slight differences in size and detailing, the few examples of the guéridon bas marketed during the War already possessed all the characteristics of the model that went perfectly with the Visiteur armchair. Like the other items of furniture designed at the same period, it kept metal to a minimum, limiting it to a triangular bent steel armature. The armature’s three sections grip three slotted and notched solid wood legs, being held in place by threaded rods and blind nuts. The idea of this frame was that “the top should not influence the construction of the piece and could be in wood, marble or glass.”1 Clearly identified in the catalogs as a demountable item, the guéridon bas was initially offered in two heights (35 and 45 cm) and two top diameters (80 and 95 cm). In 1949, however, a single height of 35 cm was assigned to tops (Ø 80–120 cm) of Comblanchien limestone, glass or plated with oak.2 The small model was the most successful: 90 examples were made in 1951 as opposed to 30 with the large top (Ø 95 cm). In 1952, the new names—no. 402 and no. 403—referred to tops 80 or 95 cm in diameter, on a base 30 cm high. There were no major modifications apart from the mounts, and the table was made until 1954.
1. In Le Décor d’aujourd’hui, no. 37, 1946, p. 25.
2. A version entirely of African wood was made for the Air France building in Brazzaville, fitted out by Charlotte Perriand in 1952.