In Nancy in 1904, Victor Prouvé succeeds Emile Gallé as president of the “École de Nancy” Art Nouveau movement, and later becomes director of the École des Beaux-Arts.
915–1917 - Studies modeling and sculptures at the École des Beaux-Arts in Nancy.
- Learns wrought iron skills in the Enghien workshop of sculptor-ironworker Emile Robert, a friend of his father.
- Trains under the wrought-iron craftsman Szabo in Paris, learning modern metalworking and welding techniques.
- He begins making his own wrought iron pieces: a garden gate for the painter Victor Guillaume and a base for a vase made by his godfather Emile Gallé
- Military service in the cavalry.
- Shows his wrought-iron work in exhibitions at the École des Beaux-Arts in Nancy.
- First workshop, Rue du Général Custine, Nancy: “Jean Prouvé, wrought iron craftsman.”
- Marries Madeleine Schott, one of his father’s students at the fine arts school. They will have five children.
- Numerous projects in Lorraine: gates, railings, chandeliers, etc.
- Exposition internationale des Arts décoratifs, Paris (International Exhibition of Decorative Arts). Crucial contact with modernism, sparking his interest in sheet metal, stainless steel and advances in welding techniques.
- Member of the Comité Nancy-Paris, an avant-garde group founded by Georges Sadoul.
- Glass roof, banisters, balusters, furniture and light fittings for the Palais de la Bière, Nancy.
- Gate for the Reifenberg House in Paris (Robert Mallet-Stevens, architect).
- First bent sheet metal elevator cars.
- His light fittings are produced and marketed by the DIM Gallery.
- Founding member of the Union des Artistes Modernes (UAM).
- First furniture: adjustable reclining armchair, table with central base and rubber top, folding reclining chairs.
- First patents taken out in the name Jean Prouvé (“constructor”): movable partitions, metal doors, sash windows.
- Numerous metal items for the building industry: banisters, sash windows, movable indoor partitions, bent sheet metal elevator shafts, notably for the Hôtel de l’Hermitage in Vittel (F. César, architect), for which he also creates furniture.
- Glass facade for the Citroën garage, Rue Marbeuf in Paris, (A. Laprade and L. Bazin, architects).
- Takes part in the first UAM exhibition, notably showing his furniture.
- Fitting for the Grange-Blanche hospital in Lyon (T. Garnier, architect).
- Furniture design competition for the Cité Universitaire in Nancy (bed, bookshelves, desk, chair, armchair).
- Founding of the company “Ateliers Jean Prouvé” and the move to new premises on the Rue des Jardiniers in Nancy. This space facilitates modernization of working techniques and fulfillment of Jean Prouvé’s new goals: industrialized items for the building industry and mass-produced furniture.
- From here on the many patents taken out by Jean Prouvé are systematically in the name of “Ateliers Jean Prouvé”, the name that becomes his signature.
- Furniture for the public sector (the Cité Universitaire in Nancy, hospitals, sanatoriums, offices).
- Railings and stainless steel doors for the liner Koutoubia.
- Main gate for the Musée des Colonies in Paris (A. Laprade, architect).
- Large glass facade for the Citroën showrooms in Lyon (M. Ravazé, architect).
- Doors and windows for the Musée et institut de zoologie in Nancy (J. and M. André, architects).
- Facades and stainless steel vitrines for the Gillet-Lafont store in Nancy (P. Le Bourgeois, architect).
- Metal joinery at the Cité de la Muette, Drancy, 1932–1939, (E. Beaudouin and M. Lods, architects).
- Designs a bus station for Citroën at Paris La Villette.
- Doors, partitions, furniture, joinery for the Boulogne-Billancourt city hall, 1933–1935 (T. Garnier, architect).
- First “standard” type chair with a tubing and bent steel base.
- Lecture hall furniture for the École des Sciences Politiques, Paris.
- Stainless steel panels and office furniture for the Compagnie Parisienne de Distribution d’Électricité, Paris, 1934–1935 (U. Cassan, architect).
- Roland-Garros Aviation Center, Buc, 1935–1936 (E. Beaudouin and M. Lods, architects).
- Ocean liner cabin fitted out with stainless steel for the OTUA exhibition, in association with interior decorator Marcel Gascoin.
- Numerous public sector furniture projects: desks, armchairs, bookshelves, beds, tables, chairs, school furniture
- Purchase of the Pels metal pressing and folding machine (length of bend: 4 meters).
- The Maison du peuple and covered market in Clichy, 1936–1939 (E. Beaudouin and M. Lods, architects, V. Bodiansky, engineer).
- Bronze joinery for the French embassy in Ottawa, 1936–1938 (E. Beaudouin, architect).
- Entrance doors for the Ministère des PTT (Ministry of the Post and Telecommunications) in Paris, 1936–1939 (J. Debat-Ponstan, architect).
- Fabrication of a bathroom compartment for Charlotte Perriand, Le Corbusier and Pierre Jeanneret.
- Staircase for the UAM pavilion and steel and Rhodoïd garden furniture, with Jacques André, Exposition Internationale, Paris.
- BLPS weekend house, (architects E. Beaudouin and M. Lods, designer Ateliers Jean Prouvé, constructor Les Forges de Strasbourg), prototype 1937–1938.
- Ministère de l’Air competition: internal portal frame principle; external portal frame principle.
- Prototype for a caravan, with P. Jeanneret
- Competition for the construction components for OTUA (M. Lods, architect).
- Production of several hundred demountable, external frame barracks for combat units of the 4th and 5th armies.
- Demountable buildings with internal portal frame and furniture for the SCAL, Issoire, with the BCC (P. Jeanneret, architect, Ch. Perriand, interior design).
- The War years; Jean Prouvé plays an active part in the Resistance.
- Wartime production: gas generators for trucks, charcoal ovens, Pyrobal stoves, bicycle frames, trailers, etc.
- “Écoles volantes” project (temporary school buildings) and village clubhouses with internal portal, with Le Corbusier and Pierre Jeanneret.
- 8x8 pavilion with wooden portal frame for the BCC, Saint-Auban, 1941–1942 (P. Jeanneret, architect).
- “All wood” furniture: chairs, tables, stools.
- Furniture for the Solvay hospital in Dombasle: chaise longue and designs for the Visiteur armchair.
- Office furniture: tables, chairs, rack shelving.
- Designs aluminum house with Marcel Lods and builds prototype.
- Restores the Jean Lamour gates on Place Stanislas and Place de la Carrière in Nancy.
- Nancy is liberated. Pending elections, Jean Prouvé is made mayor (September 1944-May 1945) and a member of the Assemblée Consultative Provisoire.
- Actively dedicates himself to restoring acceptable living conditions and promoting public awareness of the need for mutual aid.
- 450 demountable houses (6x6 and 6x9) with internal portal frame for refugees in Lorraine.
- After five years in POW camps, his brothers Henri and Pierre return to the Ateliers Jean Prouvé.
- Portal frame building site huts for the mines at Zellidja, in Algeria.
- Founds the Stahlhaus company in conjunction with the Dillingen steelworks. Display house build at Sarrebruck.
- Prefabricated house for an experimental Ministère de la Reconstruction project at Noisy-le-Sec (with H. Prouvé).
- Studies prefabricated units for Le Corbusier’s Unité d’Habitation in Marseille (Le Corbusier, architect).
- Domestic furniture; “all wood” dining room suite (cabinet, table, chairs); awarded the 1947 Meubles de France seal.
- The Ateliers Jean Prouvé leave the Rue des Jardiniers and move into a real factory in Maxéville, near Nancy.
- Gold Medal from the Ministère de la Reconstruction et de l’Urbanisme (MRU).
- Designs the École Professionnelle de Verrerie, Croismare, 1947–1948 (H. Prouvé, architect).
- Portal frame cabins for the EDF mobile site at Ottmarsheim, 1947–1948.
- Testing chambers and partitions for the Institut de Recherche de la Sidérurgie (IRSID) at Saint-Germain-en-Laye, 1947–1952 (R. Coulon, architect).
- Offices for the Ferembal factory, Nancy (H. Prouvé, architect).
- Designs the Haricot desk, later renamed Présidence.
- Aluminium Français buys into the Ateliers Jean Prouvé.
- Aluminium Français subsidiary Studal given exclusive sales rights in the construction sector.
- Steph Simon becomes exclusive agent for “Ateliers Jean Prouvé” furnishings.
- Partitions and furniture for the Organisation Européenne de Coopération Économique (OECE) in Paris (J. Démaret, architect).
- Facade panels for the Fédération Nationale du Bâtiment in Paris, 1949–1951 (R. Gravereaux and R. Lopez, architects).
- Metal floors, staircases and furniture for the display apartment in Le Corbusier’s Unité d’Habitation in Marseille, 1949–1950 (Le Corbusier, architect).
- Primary schools and teachers’ accommodations, Vantoux and Bouqueval (H. Prouvé, architect).
- Competition for the state offices, law courts and secondary school, Niamey, Nigeria (P. Herbé, architect).
- Tropique House, Niamey, Nigeria (H. Prouvé, architect).
- Portal frame and Coque houses, MRU housing development in Meudon, 1949–1953, (H. Prouvé and A. Sive, architects).
- Portal frame holiday house for the Dollander family, Le Lavandou / Saint-Clair, 1949–1951 (H. Prouvé, architect).
- Made Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur for his work in the Resistance.
- Hangar structure roof for the Mame printers in Tours, 1950–1952 (Drieu La Rochelle and B. H. Zehrfuss, architects).
- Métropole house (H. Prouvé, architect). Prototype shown in the Salon des Arts Ménagers, Paris.
- Facades for the Palais de la Foire, Lille, 1950–1951 (P. Herbé, architect).
- Le Placieux kindergarten, Villers-les-Nancy (H. Prouvé, architect).
- Martigues kindergarten, 1950–1953 (A. Arati, M. Boyer and C. Lestrade, architects).
- Coque houses for Citroën (Nardin and Oudot, architecture interns).
- Founding member of the groupe Espace.
- Coque house. Prototype shown in the Salon des Arts Ménagers, Paris (H. Prouvé, architect).
- Lopez House, Guerrevieille, 1951–1954 (H. Prouvé, architect).
- Salle Méridienne (central hall), Paris Observatory (A. Rémondet, architect).
- MM. Janicot Houses, Charenton (H. Prouvé, architect).
- Facade panels for the Casino de la Grande Côte, Royan (L. Simon architect).
- Tropique houses for Aluminium Français, Brazzaville.
- Filling stations for Mobiloil, Shell and Socony.
- 9th Milan Triennial: prize for a metal-frame table.
- Bergères Lecture hall seats, Aix-Marseille University, 1951.
- Furniture and fittings for the Air-France Congo building in Brazzaville (Ch. Perriand, interior fitting).
- Centrale table. Lighting library table for the Maison de l’Étudiant in Paris, with Charlotte Perriand and André Salomon.
- Grand Prix of the Cercle d’Études Architecturales for the facades and partitions of the Fédération Nationale du Bâtiment building, with architects Raymond Gravereaux and Raymond Lopez.
- Industrial-production classroom and school furniture, Salon des Arts Ménagers, Paris.
- Aviation center at Doncourt-les-Conflans, 1952–1957 (J. and B. Ogé and Le Corbusier, architects).
- Facades, firestation, Bordeaux, 1952–1953 (Cl. Ferret, architect).
- Study for aluminum facades for the Front de Mer, Royan.
- Study for aluminum “voile grille” facades.
- Designs for the Alba House, 1952–1953 (M. Silvy, architecture intern).
- Projects for the central-core tower at the Université Européenne in Nancy (J. Belmont, M. Silvy and T. Carim, architecture interns).
- Facades, Nièvre prefecture, Nevers, 1952–1953 (Robert, architect).
- Official contract with Charlotte Perriand for furniture design—notably for the student dormitories at the Cité Universitaire in Paris.
- Aluminium Français becomes the majority stakeholder in the Ateliers Jean Prouvé.
- Facades and sun-shutters for an apartment building, Conakry (Atelier LWD, architect).
- “Compas” base desks and tables.
- Presents a school unit and school furniture at the Zürich Exhibition.
- “Gate” for the ClAM (International Congress of Modern Architecture) in Aix-en-Provence, with architecture interns J. Belmont and M. Silvy.
- Facade panels, porch roof and furniture for the Sécurité Sociale offices in Le Mans, 1953–1954 (J. Le Couteur, architect).
- Facades for the apartment block on Square Mozart, Paris, 1953–1954, (L. Mirabeau, architect).
- Schools at Palaiseau, L’Hay-Ies-Roses, Saint-Avold, Saint-Michel-Chef-Chef, Aubergenville etc., 1952–1953.
- Facades and interiors for the SFR plant in Saint-Egrève (A. Gutton, architect).
- Wins the competition for the project for the Cité Universitaire in Nancy, with P. La Mache (architect), T. Carim and M. Silvy (architecture interns) and S. Kétoff (engineer).
- Facades for the state offices in Bayonne (A. Remondet, architect).
- Design for a polar research station in Terre Adélie (V. Bodiansky, engineer).
- Numerous items of furniture for the public sector, (in particular student dormitories).
- Resigns as CEO of Ateliers Jean Prouvé as a sign of his disagreement with Studal policy. He stays on as administrator at Ateliers Jean Prouvé until January 1956.
- Works in the Aluminium Français offices in Paris, but remains in contact with the factory at Maxéville.
- Pavilion for the Centenaire de l’Aluminium, Paris (M. Hugonet, engineer).
- Schools at Blanc-Mesnil (A. Lurçat, architect), Custines (Ph. Legrand, architect), Genneville, etc.
- Builds his own house in Nancy.
- Aluminum facades for social housing blocks, Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne (M. Blanc, architect).
- Sun-shutters for a holiday spot at Cap-Martin, (Le Corbusier, architetct).
- “Beauté France” seal of approval for the architectural features of the Centenaire de l’Aluminium pavilion.
- Props and facades for the Institut Français des Pétroles, Rueil-Malmaison (P. Dufau, architect).
- Design for a mass-produced apartment block.
- Furniture, Cité Universitaire, Antony (1955–1956).
- On March 15th, the Ateliers Jean Prouvé company in Maxéville becomes the Ateliers de Construction Préfabriquée de Maxéville (ACPM).
- In Paris, Jean Prouvé sets up the company “Les Constructions Jean Prouvé,” with Michel Bataille.
- On April 1st, Steph Simon (who has opened a gallery on the Boulevard Saint Germain), exclusive distributor of Ateliers Jean Prouvé furniture, becomes the editor of Charlotte Perriand and Jean Prouvé furniture.
- Designs and creates the glass roofs at CNIT (Centre des Nouvelles Industries et Technologies), Paris-la-Défense (B. H. Zehrfuss, R. Camelot and J. de Mailly, architects).
- Les Jours Meilleurs house for Abbé Pierre.
- Cachat pump room, Évian, 1956–1957 (M. Novarina, architect, S. Kétoff, engineer).
- Constructions Jean Prouvé is absorbed by the Compagnie Industrielle de Matériel de Transport (CIMT). Jean Prouvé is put in charge of the construction department while retaining the freedom to work as an engineering consultant. The consultancy is henceforth known as CIMT–Jean Prouvé.
- Temporary school at Villejuif.
- Lobby for the Renault building in Flins (B. H. Zehrfuss, architect). - Studies for “nomadic” churches and executes projects in Moselle, 1957–1963.
- Holds the chair of Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers (CNAM) in Paris, 1958–1971.
- Sahara House at the Salon des Arts Ménagers, Paris (Ch. Perriand, cabin fittings).
- Facade panels for the social housing block La Tour du Fer-à-Cheval in Roubaix (G. Gillet, architect).
- Facades, Bagnols-sur-Cèze secondary school (Badani and Roux-Dorlut, architects).
- Pavillon de la France (G. Gillet, architect, R. Sarger, engineer) and Pavillon du Luxembourg (R. Mailliet, architect), Exposition Universelle, Bruxelles.
- Glass facade and superstructure for the shopping mall at Orly Sud airport (H. Vicariot, architect).
- Vault in aluminum for the underground facilities, EDF company at Serre-Ponçon (J. de Mailly, architect).
- M. Bosquet House, Cordon.
- Vice-president of the Cercle d’Études Architecturales.
- Light diffuser, curtain wall and doors for the Musée et Maison de la Culture in Le Havre,
1955–1961 (Audigier and Lagneau, Weill, Dimitriejevic, architects).
- Facade, Institut National des Sciences Appliquées, Lyon (Perrin-Fayolle, architect).
- Facade panels for the mass-produced GEEP schools (M. Silvy, J. Belmont, architects).
- Sun shutter facades, schools in Cameroon (Atelier LWD, architect).
- Facades, Faculté des Sciences in Lyon (Perrin-Fayolle, architect).
- Parish centre and design for a church, Villerupt-Cantebonne.
- Seynave House, Beauvallon, 1961–1962 (N. Hutchison, architect, J. Parente, Sauzet and Vilfour, supervising architects).
- Sheathing for the isotope separation factory at Pierrelatte (J. Swetchine, engineer).
- Gauthier House, Saint-Dié (H. Baumann, E. Remondino architects).
- Reynolds Prize for the Centenaire de l’Aluminium pavilion, the Évian pump room and the Le Havre museum.
- Auguste Perret Prize awarded by the UIA (International Union of Architects).
- Facade for CIMT headquarters in Neuilly-sur-Seine (E. Deschler, architect).
- Church at L’Haÿ-Les-Roses (P. Picot, architect).
- Enters the Conception-Construction competition of the Ministère de l’Éducation Nationale design and building (with J. Belmont, J.-C. Périllier and M. Silvy).
- Formulates his “tabouret” (stool) building principle. Patent 1964.
- Jean Prouvé exhibition in the Marsan Pavilion, Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris.
- Exhibition pavilions, Parc des Floralies, Orléans-la-Source.
- Facade of the French embassy in Warsaw, Poland (H. Bernard, G. Gillet, B. H. Zehrfuss, architects), molded aluminum panels.
- Chevalier de l’ordre des Arts et des Lettres.
- Youth centre prototype for the Salon des artistes-décorateurs, Grand Palais, Paris (Perrotet and Deroche, architects).
- Studies polyester-panel houses for Saint-Gobain, 1965–1969.
- Constructional system and facades, Public university, Berlin, 1965–1973 (G. Candilis, A. Josic, S. Woods and M. Schiedhelm, architects).
- End of Jean Prouvé’s activity at CIMT.
- “Tabouret”-system school, lobby and two houses at the Villagexpo, Saint-Michel-sur-Orge.
- Facades for Grenoble city hall (M. Novarina, architect).
- Jean Prouvé opens “Atelier Jean Prouvé”, his own consultancy, on Rue des Blancs Manteaux, Paris.
- Facades for girls’ secondary school, Orléans-la-Source, 1967–1968 (M. Andrault and P. Parat, architects).
- Youth club, Ermont.
- Facades, Nobel Tower, La Défense, Puteaux (J. de Mailly and H. Depussé, architects).
- Palais des Expositions, Grenoble (Cl. Prouvé, architect).
- Facades for the oceanography centre in Nantes (O. Vaudou and R. Luthi, architects).
- Facades for the medical faculty in Rotterdam, 1965–1968 (OD 205: Choisy, van Emdben, Roorda van Eysinga, Smelt, Wittermans and Hagoort, architects).
- Competition for the French pavilion at the Universal Exhibition in Osaka.
- Facades and structure for the Institut de l’Environnement, Paris (R. Joly, architect).
- Facades for Unesco Building V, Paris (B. H. Zehrfuss, architect).
- Administrative center for the new town of Le Vaudreuil.
- Petroff-system freeway filling stations for Total.
- Circular buildings for Total filling stations.
- Facades for the Sandoz laboratories, Rueil-Malmaison (B. H. Zehrfuss, architect).
- Architecture School, Nancy (J. Binoux and M. Foliasson, architects).
- Jaoul House, Mainguérin (J.-C. Drouin, architect).
- Facades for the headquarters of the PCF (French Communist Party), Paris (O. Niemeyer, architect).
- Study for Les Arcs 2000 ski resort, with Charlotte Perriand.
- 1st Prize for the competition for the offices of the Ministère de l’Éducation Nationale (with J. Belmont and J. Swetchine).
- End of Jean Prouvé’s teaching career at CNAM.
- President of the Cercle d’Études Architecturales, 1971–1977.
- President of the jury for the Centre Georges Pompidou competition, Paris.
- Mountain shelters for the CAF (G. Rey-Millet, architect).
- Made an associate member of the Académie Stanislas in Nancy.
- Medal for Research and Technique awarded by the Oscar Phidias Academy of Architecture.
- Bron-Parilly University, Lyon (R. Dottelonde, architect, Pétroff, engineer).
- Facades for the Crédit Agricole bank headquarters, Bourg-en-Bresse (P. and M. Dosse, architects).
- School, Trappes (Merlin, architect).
- Perrache Trainstation, Lyon (R. Gagès, architect).
- Prize in the La Villette competition (with J. Belmont).
- Studies and builds the bell-tower for the Notre-Dame-du-Haut chapel at Ronchamp, after an idea by Le Corbusier.
- Designs “umbrella” structures for the Forum des Halles in Paris, 1976–1980 (J. Willerval, architect).
- Designs the structure for the Bercy velodrome, Paris (M. Andrault and P. Parat, architect).
- Aviary at Villars-les-Dombes (P. Dosse, architect).
- Medal of Commandeur de la Légion d’Honneur presented by President Mitterrand at the Palais de l’Élysée.
- Erasmus Prize and “Jean Prouvé Constructeur”, exhibition at the Boijmans Van Beuningen Museum, Rotterdam.
- TV tower, Ouessant (J.-M. Jacquin, architect).
- Grand Prix d’Architecture de la Ville de Paris.
1983 - Metro terminus shelter, Paris (L. Petroff, engineer).
- Jean Prouvé dies at home in Nancy on March 23rd.